Monday, December 12, 2011

Pomegranate Mint Couscous

I know, I know... this is already (!) a bit of a divergence from my vegetable side dish fest. But I swear to you there is a reason! You see, winter is also pomegranate season, and despite the massive amount of work required and propensity to staining your favorite sweater (or your sister's... sorry Elizabeth!) I just love them. There is nothing like that sweet-tart, surprising burst of flavor when you bite into those tiny, gloriously red seeds. And pomegranates are super good for you, full of anti-oxidants. So you're getting healthier just by eating them (I make this argument to defend my red wine habit too, in case you are wondering).
Here is a wonderful, festively colored pasta side dish that is simple to make and can be prepared ahead of time. Serve it warm or cold, it is fabulous either way. I served it for dinner with a simple pan seared steak and caramelized shallots, but it was equally delicious on its own the next day for lunch.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup couscous, cooked and fluffed
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • seeds from 1 pomegranate
  • 2 ounces of goat cheese, crumbled
  • 2-3 Tbsp fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
Dress couscous with olive oil and lemon, stir well. Add all remaining ingredients, stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment